Thursday, March 1, 2012

Feb 15 to 28 work.

Feb 17 went to Minute Clinic at CVS and diagnosed with strep. Went to get penicillin and go home. Watch Pink Panther movies and sleep.  So not much work going on. 

Est Feb 19 had some strength and energy. Decided to try and free the brake line for driver side rear brake wheel cylinder.  Sprayed it with WD40 first. Took the line wrench, put it on the fitting and clamped a vice grip around it to keep it from spreading and stripping the fitting. It worked!  Just turned it a bit and snugged it back up. Ready for the swap now. 

Est Feb 22. Took the battery out from apartment, installed and tried to start it. I pumped gas pedal 4 times. It would turn over but not fire. I pumped it 8x and it tried to run but very low RPM a bit then die. I took air cleaner off and saw choke plate was flat across blocking air. I unjammed it and recranked. It eventually fired. I think choke plate is the problem. 

The radiator cap is still cracked open (but not off) so the coolant system won't get over pressurized. I let it warm up then drove it to the mail box .35 miles away. The brake light stays on indicating brake system failure. The brakes are still not working right but with great force will stop the truck. So on the way back I punched the gas pedal to get the RPM down right before I went up a steep pitch. It stalled out. I couldn't start it. Uh oh. I got out and took air cleaner off. Yep, choke had closed off air flow. Opened it up and got it started. Whew. 

Est Feb 25 bought another rear brake wheel cylinder at O'reilly's.  

Feb 28
Driver side rear brake wheel cylinder was installed, brake parts reassembled drum and wheel installed. Kristen came to help a bit to put wheel back on and we went in for supper. 

Next? She may help me bleed the brakes yet again; keep flushing out the old fluid. I may need to take off the brake part that has the sensor in it. Disassemble and clean it up. The other front brake line fitting has a stuck fitting so I may end up replacing another hard line. 

The brake system just keeps being the same topic over again. But it must work right and it has been so neglected for years and maybe decades!  If I have to replace every component, I will. Maybe the brake pedal can stay. Oh wait the rubber cover on it is worn down too ...

No comments:

Post a Comment